Tucker’s Grove Campground is slowly coming to life. Doors and windows are opened to air out the tents, cushions and rugs are shook out, floors swept and, if necessary, wildlife evicted and cleaned up after.
Thursday found one of the oldest campground members, former chairperson of the campground board Jerry Ross Jr., fixing a hole in the window on the second floor where some critter had come through and left droppings in his tent. Ross has been coming to Tucker’s Grove Camp Meeting since 1947.
Camp meeting starts at Tucker’s Grove today with a mandatory meeting for tent owners at 6 p.m. followed by the blessing of the grounds at 6:45 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 17 beginning at 10 a.m. is the Youth Explosion with Rev Betty Brown and Torey Haynes followed by the singing program at 6 p.m.
Sunday, Aug. 18th at 6 p.m. is Youth Sunday led by Rev. Albert Wells from Center Baptist Church in Gastonia.
There will be bible study in the arbor, Aug. 19-23 from 5:30-6:45 p.m. led nightly by assigned churches. Nightly services in the arbor will be held at 7 p.m. as follows:
- Aug. 19 Brevard UMC, Rev. Charlie Rivens, The Place (Charlotte)
- Aug. 20 Ebenezer UMC, Rev. Marcus Farmer, Mt. Olin AME Zion (Newton)
- Aug. 21 Rock Hill UMC, Rev. Michael Glenn, Mt. Pleasant Baptist (Belmont)
- Aug. 22 Gold Hill Missionary Baptist, Rev. Cory Gaines, Maiden Chapel Baptist
- Aug. 23 St. James UMC, Rev. Brandon Miles, St. James UMC (Denver)
- Aug. 24 Tucker’s Grove UMC, Apostle James Ford, Morningside Missionary Baptist (Mt. Holly)
The last service will be held on Sunday, Aug. 25 at 11 a.m. led by the hosting church Rev. Marvin Caldwell, Tucker’s Grove UMC.
Tucker’s Grove Campgrounds are located at located at the intersections of Highway 73 and Beth Haven Church Road, across from Brevard Place Road. Parking is towards the rear of the campground. The public is welcome and invited to attend any of the services. Food and drink is available for purchase at the campground.