The Drum-Wilkinson clan will host a dedication service for the new Drumsville historic marker at Jones Fish Camp on June 28.
While this is a historical preservation project of the Drum-Wilkinson Clan based in Catawba County, the family extends throughout the United States.
John, Sr. and Mary Isenhour Drum originally settled at Little Mountain between 1798 and 1801 on land that was formerly owned by James G. Wilkinson, Sr., some of their descendants eventually intermarried and created what became known in May 1948 as the Drum-Wilkinson Clan, according to a press release. Decades prior to that, the Drums, Wilkinsons, Caldwells, Clines, Littles, Littons, Martins, Ratchfords and Sigmons, who lived in the area during the late 1800s and early 1900s, created Drumsville.
Drumsville consisted of many farms, residences and a commercial district consisting of seven businesses, P. Drum’s Mill and a post office. The central business community of Drumsville was at the base of Little Mountain, near the creek where the junction of Little Mountain Road and Mathis Church Road now exist. While in 1909, Drumsville was a booming community, by 1936, the businesses had closed.
Over the years, Drumsville has been a contributing community to the growth of the county as well as to the state. Descendants have served as soldiers, leaders in local, state and federal government, law enforcement, fire departments, farmers, health providers, missionaries and owned businesses in the past and present.
Family and friends are invited to attend the dedication service. Those attending are recommended to bring a lawn chair, as the service will be held outside.
The dedication service for the new Drumsville Historic Marker will be held on June 28 at 1:30 p.m. at the Jones Fish Camp located at 5269 South NC 16 Highway. Jones Fish Camp will open at 3 p.m., and participants are encouraged to join other family members for a Dutch Treat meal following the service.