Home » Breaking News » Sheriff’s Office: Stanley man whose daughter, nephew died in trench collapse, busted again for drugs

Sheriff’s Office: Stanley man whose daughter, nephew died in trench collapse, busted again for drugs



Staff Writer

A Stanley man, who had manslaughter charges dropped against him last year in the death of his daughter and nephew, was arrested on drug charges on Wednesday.

The Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office said deputies approached Jordan Keeley Arwood’s vehicle around 2:30 a.m. while he was parked in the parking lot of Sports Page Food & Spirits in Denver.

Arwood, 32, was slumped over his steering wheel, asleep, with his driver’s side door open at the time, officers said.

After deputies woke him up, the man admitted to having “way too much” to drink, according to an arrest report.

Deputies also said they located a pill bottle in the back seat and a small container of a controlled substance on Arwood’s key ring.

Arwood told officers one of the bottles contained vitamins, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Because the suspect resisted officers during arrest, deputies struggled to handcuff him and used extra force to take him into custody, the report said.

Arwood was placed in jail under a $40,000 secured bond and charged with one felony count each of possession of a schedule II controlled substance and possession of a schedule IV controlled substance.

He has since posted bond.

According to the North Carolina Department of Correction website, Arwood has a criminal history involving drugs, including a felony conviction in Catawba County in 2003 for possession with intent to sell a schedule VI controlled substance.

He was also charged last year for harboring marijuana and firearms at his home illegally, since he is a convicted felon.

A Lincoln County judge dismissed involuntary manslaughter charges against Arwood in December after determining there was not enough probable cause in a case from April 2013 in which the man’s daughter, Chloe Arwood, 6, and nephew, James Caldwell, 7, died in a trench collapse.

The children were buried alive while playing in the trench, which Arwood told officers he was building as the basement for a future rammed earth home.

Hundreds of rescue workers from Lincoln County and the surrounding region flocked to the Cedarbrook Court property to pull the children from the pit.

The bodies were located nearly 12 hours later.



You must be logged in to post a comment Login