Home » Local News » Smoke alarms save home from fire

Smoke alarms save home from fire

 

JENNA-LEY HARRISON

Staff Writer

 

Fire officials praised a local family for having working smoke detectors inside their Lincolnton residence Monday night that alerted them to an attic fire that could have destroyed the home or taken a life.

According to Lincolnton Fire Marshal Patrick King, the incident took place just before 1 a.m. at a home on North Oak Street.

Six people were sleeping inside the residence at the time, King said, and were awakened by the smoke alarms.

During the incident, one of the residents immediately ventured upstairs to alert his daughter, where he spotted smoke already filling up her room as she slept, he told fire officials.

“If the smoke detector had not alerted them to the fire,” King said, “she or others in the home could have lost their lives.”

The fire originated in a part of the attic that residents had converted into a bedroom and bathroom, fire officials said.

King noted that someone left a make-up mirror plugged into a drop cord in the bathroom.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames, keeping them contained to the room of origin, Lincolnton Fire Chief Mitch Burgin said.

As a result, the home suffered $5,000 in damage.

King used the incident as a prime example of how smoke alarms are vital for a home and that residents need to keep working batteries inside them.

He also said homes should maintain more than one working detector.

“It is with utmost importance that every home have at least one working smoke detector on every floor near the bedrooms,” he said. “They do save lives.”

Anyone lacking a working smoke detector can call the Lincolnton Fire Department at (704) 736-8920 for information on how to obtain one.

North 321 Fire Department also responded to Monday night’s scene.

 

 

You must be logged in to post a comment Login