Denver fire officials said a Charlotte firefighter driving through the area alerted a Lincoln County family that their house was on fire Wednesday morning after they failed to hear smoke detectors.
The incident occurred just after 6 a.m. at 6676 Pine Ridge Drive, according to Denver Fire Department Public Information Officer Dion Burleson.
The Charlotte man had been driving by the home, on his way to pickup a fellow firefighter before heading into work, when he noticed smoke around the bottom of the chimney, Burleson said.
As he approached the home and banged on the door to alert residents, he spotted fire, Burleson said.
The man also heard no smoke alarms inside the home, he told firefighters.
First responders were notified and arrived on the scene about six minutes after the call, the release said.
Denver responded first, followed by mutual aid from East Lincoln and Pumpkin Center Fire Departments.
Most of the fire damage was contained to the front of the residence, fire officials said, but the home was deemed a total loss in the incident.
Denver crews were able to arrive within minutes of the call due to an increase in station staffing this week.
Fire officials added more first responders to each of the department’s three stations on account of icy road conditions.
“This staffing level was a key component to our ability to quickly gain control of this fire,” Burleson said in the release.
While fire crews successfully rescued four dogs from the home, two received significant injuries and later died, the release said.
The cause of the fire has been deemed accidental, originating in the chimney. However, an exact cause has yet to be determined at this time.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family. For more pictures of the blaze or information on Denver Fire Department, visit denverfd.com.
A southeastern Lincoln County residence also succumbed to a blaze this week, killing four of six pet dogs, firefighters said.
East Lincoln crews served as the primary responding agency Tuesday morning at the Killian Farm Road residence.
The Stanley house fire is still under investigation by the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office and Fire Marshal’s Office.
No individuals were reported injured in either fire incident.