Home » Local News » Top Stories » Home damaged by kitchen fire

Home damaged by kitchen fire

JENNA-LEY HARRISON
Staff Writer

The American Red Cross is assisting a family whose home suffered significant fire damage following an unexpected kitchen blaze on Saturday, fire officials said.
The incident occurred around lunchtime at a home on Little Street, Lincolnton Fire Chief Mitch Burgin said.
A resident, who was renting the home, had been cleaning at the time of the incident and left a container of newspapers on the stove, accidentally turning on a burner, she told fire officials.
The woman ran to a neighbor’s home and contacted 911 after a smoke alarm alerted her, and she found flames inside the kitchen, Burgin said.
Because the resident maintained a working detector and immediately called emergency crews, firefighters were able to keep fire damage to a minimum and save a large portion of the home, fire officials said.
Other than a gutted kitchen, the residence only suffered minimal smoke damage.
Crews with Boger City Volunteer Fire Department assisted the Lincolnton agency with working the scene.
Burgin reminded area residents to “treat all stove tops as if they are on,” he said, and to never place anything on top of them, unless the items are for cooking.
Two adults and one child lived inside the Lincolnton home. Officials with the local Red Cross chapter are currently aiding them.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login