Home » Local News » Top Stories » Christmas Day fire displaces family

Christmas Day fire displaces family

Jaclyn Anthony / Lincoln Times-News Fire damage at a home on Ivey Meadow Lane in Stanley.


Staff Writer

Two unrelated holiday house fires destroyed at least one residence this week in Lincoln County.

On Wednesday, while families relaxed in their homes, savoring the last few hours of Christmas Day, a family of seven watched their home burn to pieces on Ivey Meadow Lane in Stanley, on the county’s eastern end, according to Asst. Chief Mike Turner with East Lincoln Fire Department.

His agency responded first to the incident just after 6:30 p.m.

At the time, occupants of the home included a couple, their five children and a grandmother.

East Lincoln received mutual aid from a number of agencies in Lincoln, Gaston and Mecklenburg Counties.

Emergency crews said flames in the fireplace sparked a chimney fire, which later spread to the home’s attic, making it more challenging for firefighters to reach the flames.

Because the residence is located on the side of N.C. 73 without hydrants, Turner said, first responders were forced to seek water sources outside the county to stop the fire as it ripped through the two-story brick home.

Crews called on Gaston County’s tanker squad, comprised of agencies in Ranlo, Alexis, East Gaston and beyond, to supply water to the home.

During the blaze, tankers staged along Killian Road.

“We had trucks everywhere ready to respond with water,” Turner said.

Fire officials estimated between 12 and 15 trucks — altogether carrying at least 50 firefighters — responded to the scene.

Denver and Huntersville Fire Departments provided additional assistance; crews with Lincoln County Emergency Medical Services and the Fire Marshal’s Office also flocked to the property.

Crews remained at the home until midnight.

There were no injuries in the incident, fire officials said.

Because the home suffered significant fire, water and smoke damage, Turner estimated the structure to be a total loss.

Residents are currently staying with nearby family members.

Scores of volunteers from Southlake Presbyterian Church in Huntersville were on scene Thursday helping to remove items from the burned home.

Volunteers said they have also provided food for the family.

Lincolnton Fire Department responded to an incident around 12:30 a.m. Thursday on North Aspen Street that stemmed from electrical wiring, fire crews said.

Chief Mitch Burgin said a wire overheated in the home’s attic area sparked “a small flicker of fire” that one of the residents spotted before bedtime.

Fire officials pointed out that since the home maintained no working smoke detectors, the situation could have proved more severe.

“The occupants were very fortunate that one…heard something pop in the ceiling area,” Burgin said. “We would have had a much worse outcome if the fire would have waited another hour or two.”

North 321 fire crews assisted the incident.

Firefighters worked the scene until 3 a.m. and said the attic contained most of the fire damage with slight smoke damage in the home’s living area.


Image courtesy of KaAnSuli | Lincoln Times-News

You must be logged in to post a comment Login