Home » Local News » Top Stories » Assault victim speaks out

Assault victim speaks out

JENNA-LEY HARRISON

Staff Writer

Lincolnton resident Jesse Mace said he and his family will never forget an incident from earlier this month in which a father and son allegedly beat him with cement blocks.

Deputies have charged Esteban Cavillo Pascual, 46, and his son Esteban Calvillo Estrada in the incident, which took place Dec. 1.

At the time of the incident, Mace was on his way to a trailer park community on Charles Heavner Lane to visit his mother-in-law and wife’s grandmother, he said.

He stopped near Bob’s Superette, a convenience store in the area, where he said a man started throwing rocks at his vehicle.

Mace’s wife and three children, ages 6, 4 and 11 months, were also in the vehicle at the time.

Mace said he tried to approach the man, whom deputies later identified as Estrada, and ask him why he was throwing rocks, but the encounter between the two parties instantly turned sour.

Estrada yelled a variety of racial slurs, Mace said, before the teen’s relatives responded to the scene from a nearby home.

One of the men in the group, whom deputies determined to be Pascual, took a cement block, Mace said, and began beating him in front of his family, which was watching from the vehicle.

Mace attempted to run back toward his truck for protection, but it was too late.

“They pinned me at the back of my truck,” he said.

At one point, the suspects knocked him out, he said.

Mace revealed how he suffered several injuries in the incident including a broken neck, broken tooth and multiple contusions to his body.

He spent Dec. 1-3 in a Charlotte hospital.

The assault also impacted his children, one of whom he noted had been only inches from his head when the suspects were striking him.

“They have been traumatized,” he said. “They were screaming and.”

Mace will follow up with a medical specialist later this month, who will determine if he needs artificial vertebrae.

All three suspects have since been released from the Harven A. Crouse Detention Center.

Their future court dates were not available at time of publication.

Estrada and Pascual each face one felony count of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury.

In addition, Estrada has been charged with misdemeanor simple assault, and Pascual charged with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon and injury to personal property.

 

You must be logged in to post a comment Login