Home » Local News » Top Stories » Man heads to court to face charges in kids’ deaths

Man heads to court to face charges in kids’ deaths

 

JENNA-LEY HARRISON

Staff Writer

 

A man accused in the deaths of his daughter and nephew earlier this year in eastern Lincoln County is set to make his next district court appearance in the case this week.

A probable cause hearing for Jordan Keely Arwood, 32, will take place Thursday, the Clerk of Court’s Office said.

In September, the Cedarbrook Court resident was charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter after his daughter and nephew died on his property April 7.

At the time, the children had been playing inside a large pit when a dirt wall collapsed on them, burying them alive.

Fire and rescue crews from across the county and region responded to the site that evening to save the children.

In a matter of a couple of hours, the rescue mission turned into a recovery mission.

The bodies of the young victims, 6-year-old Chloe Arwood and 7-year-old James Caldwell, were pulled from the pit early the following morning.

Arwood told deputies the pit served as a basement for a future home.

Detectives have expressed skepticism over the explanation and noted he did not have county building permits for any such project.

Arwood has also been charged throughout the investigation with possession of a firearm by a felon and possession of marijuana.

In October, he was also accused of stalking an ex-girlfriend, an East Lincoln High School student.

The stalking charge has since been dropped.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login