Funding for free or reduced lunches may soon be in jeopardy for students of Lincoln County Schools due to the shutdown of the federal government.
Assistant Superintendent for Business Steve Zickefoose updated the Board of Education on the situation Tuesday night.
As of now, the school system has enough remaining federal funding, allocated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, to cover the program through Friday.
Offering the meals to students in need typically costs roughly $400,000 a month, he said. While Lincoln County Schools could sustain the program for a month or so to fill in the revenue gap, Zickefoose is not sure how much longer that could continue. The district doesn’t have the kind of cash to handle that type of shortage for long, he added.
The current plan will be to transfer money from a local balance that was previously set aside to save up for additional teacher positions until the funds can be replenished by the USDA.
It appears that the Child Nutrition Department is the only one to experience an impact at this time, he said, with other budgeted federal funding already in place and not subject to any effects of the shutdown.
In other School Board action at Tuesday’s meeting: