Home » Breaking News » Family, neighbors displaced after smoke, flames destroyed two apartments

Family, neighbors displaced after smoke, flames destroyed two apartments

 

 

JENNA-LEY HARRISON

Staff Writer

 

Smoke and flames consumed a Lincolnton apartment with a broken smoke  detector Tuesday evening, fire officials said.

The incident occurred around 6:45 p.m. at 304 N. High Street, according to a Lincolnton Fire Department press release.

An off-duty police officer spotted the smoke and fire and immediately contacted emergency crews, Fire Chief Mitch Burgin
said.

As a result, firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames with assistance from North 321 Fire Department.

No residents were inside the apartment at the time of the blaze, but the incident has displaced them, Burgin said.

The local American Red Cross chapter is providing a place to stay for  both the family of three and neighbors, whose apartment also received  heavy smoke damage in the incident, the
release said.

The fire originated from unattended food that had been cooking on the  kitchen stove.

Fire officials suggested all residents check their smoke detectors to  ensure they work properly. Anyone who needs a detector can call the Lincolnton Fire Department at (704) 736-8920. The agency keeps a  number of devices on hand, which they said they secure through grants.

 

You must be logged in to post a comment Login