The 10th annual Blue/Gold Award Ceremony held on May 16 was highlighted with the announcement of the “Rebel Navy” as a NJROTC Area SIX Distinguished Unit for the second-consecutive year. This prestigious award is earned by 30 percent of Navy JROTC units nationwide. The award recognizes outstanding achievement in academic, competition, cadet involvement and community service. The 3040 hours of community service by the small unit was noteworthy.
The award ceremony was a family and community affair, with many cadets recognized for their efforts during the year. Special guests included Lincolnton Mayor John O. Gilleland, Jr.; Lincoln County Sheriff David Carpenter; Mr. Clayton Mullis, Lincoln County School Board; Lincoln County Schools Superintendent Dr. Sherry Hoyle; West Lincoln High School Assistant Principal Mr. Steve Scercy; Lieutenant Colonel Michael Casellano, U.S. Marine Corps; Sergeant Major John Braswell. Also present were representatives from military/veteran/service organizations, recruiters and a large contingent of family members.
Recipients of military/civic organization awards were as follows, with presenters in parentheses:
* 82nd Airborne Association, Fayetteville Chapter – Gregory Gurganious and Joshua Sisk
* Air Force Sergeant’s Association – Wesley Phillips and Sabastian Sigmon
* American Legion Post 30, Lincolnton (Arthur Roseboro), Military Excellence – Darrell Evans; Scholastic Excellence – Justin Hallman
* American Legion Auxiliary, Unit 30 (Joyce Baxter), Military Excellence – Alisha Brown; Scholastic Excellence – Isabel Peterson
* American Legion Post 100, Cherryville (Michael Robinson/Charles Brown), Military Excellence – Kenneth Turner-Brown; Scholastic Excellence – Logan Dean
* American Legion Auxiliary, Unit 100 (David Cabiness/Reeves Black), Military Excellence – Makayla Gantt; Scholastic Excellence – Jamie Allen
* American Military Retirees Association (AMRA) – Max Morrison
* American Veterans (AMVETS) – Tyler Owens
* Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Award, Jacob Forney Chapter – Monica Self
* Celebrate Freedom Foundation Certificate of Achievement – William Sams
* Jewish War Veterans – Alex Brown
* Marine Corps Association Honor Graduate – Thomas Morris
* Marine Corps League, Jeb Seagle Detachment (Steve Reep) Distinguished Citizen – Zachary Freeman; Community Service – Larry Prather
* Military Officers Association of America (MOAA), Charlotte Chapter – Ariel Hane
* Military Order of Purple Heart – Rebecca Auton
* Military Order of World Wars – Jordan Hull and Zachary Mellon
* National Sojourners Americanism Award – Brandy Abner
* Navy League of the United States Youth Medal, Charlotte Council (John Alger) – Rebecca Hoyle
* Non-Commissioned Officers Association – Megan Prather; Russell West; and Charles Crowder
* Order of Daedalians Award – Phillip Flowers and Tyler Heavner
* Reserve Officers Association, Fayetteville Chapter – Courtney Gentry
* Sons of the American Revolution (SAR), Lenior Chapter – Wilford Avery
* Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Charlotte – Melissa Leatherman and Charity Sells
* Surface Navy Association Stephen Decatur Jr. award – Joseph Burton (Junior); Jessica Garmon (Freshman)
* Special Forces Association XXI – Hannah Auton
* U.S. Army Recruiting Office, Gastonia – Scholastic – Steven Leonard; Male Athletic – Dustin Headrick; Female Athletic – Katlyn Reynolds
* Naval Recruiting District Raleigh Core Values Award – Brittany Doehling; David Houser; Christina Osborne; Diana Owens; Michael Richards
* Veteran of Foreign Wars 1706 – Jessica Baker
Recipients of NJROTC Individual
* Exemplary Personal Appearance – Robin Davis, Rosa Flores, Christina Osborne, Diana Owens, Ralph Blackwell, Patrick Bowen, David Bryant, William Goble, Justin Huss, Gary Self Jr.
* Exemplary Conduct – Patricia Abner, Corey Adams, Eric Auton, Robin Bradley, Satavia Distasion, Tyler Eakes, Shelby Farrell, Rosa Flores, Timothy Goble, Dustin Headrick, Kristen Larkin, Steven Moore, Joshua Nulter, Christina Osborne, Diana Owens, Caleb Shehan, Joshua Sisk, David Vasquez, Scarlett Withers.
* NS-1 Outstanding Cadet – Jamie Allen, Nicholas Avery, Michaela Campbell, Noah Deon, Brittany Doehling, Phillip Flowers, Jessica Garmon, Christine Laabs, Alexis Lovelace, Robert Summey, Brooke White.
* NS-2 Outstanding Cadet – Brandy Abner, Hannah Auton, Alisha Brown, Phillip Flowers, Joseph Haas, Ariel Hane, Rebecca Hoyle, Ryan McKnight, Megan Prather, Charity Sells, Sabastian Sigmon.
* NS-3 Outstanding Cadet – Courtney Gentry, Michael Richards, Russell West.
* NS-4 Outstanding Cadet – Justin Abernathy, Rebecca Auton, Monica Self.
* Military Aptitude – Wilford Avery, Jessica Baker, Charles Crowder, Logan Dean, Darrell Evans, Makayla Gantt, Gregory Gurganious, Justin Hallman, Tyler Heavner, David Houser, Melissa Leatherman, Steven Leonard, Stefan Lynn, Ivan McCormick, Zachary Mellon, Max, Morrison, Diana Owens, Tyler Owens, Isabel Peterson, Wesley Phillips, Larry Prather, William Sams, Monica Self, Kenneth Turner-Brown.
* Honor Cadet – Zachary Freeman, Joseph Burton, Ariel Hane, Katlyn Reynolds
* Distinguished Cadet – Thomas Morris, Joseph Burton, Alex Brown, Katlyn Reynolds.
NJROTC Varsity Letters:
* Color Guard – Joseph Burton, Darrell Evans, Thomas Morris
* Drill – Jessica Baker, Alex Brown, Joseph Burton, Logan Dean, Noah Deon, Darrell Evans, Courtney Gentry, Justin Hallman, Jordan Hull, Melissa Leatherman, Thomas Morris, Max Morrison, Isabel Peterson, Wesley Phillips, Katlyn Reynolds, William Sams, Monica Self, Charity Sells, Kenneth Turner-Brown, Brooke White
* Rifle – Steven Leonard, Max Morrison, Wesley Phillips
* Seaman Apprentice – Patricia Abner, Corey Adams, Michaela Campbell, Brandon Cook, Kristen Larkin, Alexis Lovelace
* Seaman – Tyler Eakes, Makayla Gantt, Steven Moore, Tyler Owens, Larry Prather, Scarlett Withers
* Petty Officer Third Class – Wilford Avery, Jessica Baker, Jordan Hull, Ryan McKnight, Zachary Mellon, Diana Owens, Katlyn Reynolds, Michael Richards, Joshua Sisk
* Petty Officer Second Class – Robin Bradley, Satavia Distasio, Phillip Flowers, Gregory Gurganious, Rebecca Hoyle, Charity Sells
* Petty Officer First Class – Steven Leonard
* Chief Petty Officer – Eric Auton
Honorary Crew Member Certificates:
* 4th Maintenance Battalion, USMC (Charlotte); WLHS Guidance Department