Home » Sports » Wolves drop two in a row

Wolves drop two in a row

Staff Writer

GASTONIA — The Lincolnton Wolves suffered two losses this week including a 3-2 fall to the Ashbrook Green Wave squad Tuesday night and a 3-1 defeat on the road Monday to Southern Piedmont Conference opponent the Lake Norman Charter Knights.
Ashbrook immediately took control of Tuesday’s game in the first half’s opening minutes with a display of aggressive passing and quick fakes around its Lincolnton opponents.
However, senior Wolves forward Dennis Rodriguez had no problem obtaining the ball just long enough to attack the Green Wave goal, but it was the home team that managed to secure the night’s first shot at the two-minute mark.
At minutes four and five, Ashbrook celebrated their first two match goals, both involving top-notch footwork and teamwork from junior Chris Murillo and senior Nick Fuller.
Fuller scored the first game point off a rebound shot Murillo initially launched toward the Lincolnton goalkeeper.
Shortly after, in a similar attack, Fuller crossed the ball, and Murillo secured the shot.
Rodriguez proved most aggressive during the half, launching numerous shots for the Wolves, but it wasn’t until the 26-minute mark that senior teammate and midfielder David Segura snagged the Lincoln County squad’s first goal off a direct kick nearly 30 yards out.
A minute later, referees penalized the Wolves with a yellow card, giving Ashbrook a free kick. Lincolnton’s defensive line immediately blocked their opponent’s shot.
Shortly after, the Green Wave, too, received a yellow card, offering the Wolves a free opportunity with the ball.
With less than 10 minutes left to play in the half, Segura celebrated a second personal and team goal. The Lincolnton player bent the ball in behind the goalkeeper’s head in a surprise play.
Going into the match’s second 40-minute period, the team’s stood at a 2-2 draw.
Ashbrook pounded their opponent’s goal during the half’s opening minutes until a shot deflected off the Lincolnton goalkeeper’s hands, landing them a tie-breaking point at the six-minute mark.
The Wolves came close to again closing up the game’s score margin with Segura’s shot on goal at minute 13 just outside the goal box.
Lincolnton’s senior goalkeeper Kwawtli Mendez surprised squads and fans alike throughout the half with numerous celebratory saves, diving and jumping to keep shots out of the net, including knocking a Green Wave shot out-of-bounds after flew it flew across the goal mouth at the 37-minute mark.
The match closed with an unsuccessful shot on the Wolves side from the 20-yard line.
Despite the loss, Lincolnton boasts a winning 5-3-1 record.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login