Home » Local News » Convicted felon charged in sexual assault, kidnapping

Convicted felon charged in sexual assault, kidnapping

 

JENNA-LEY HARRISON

Staff Writer

 

A Lincolnton man appeared in court this morning on accusations he threatened a woman with a gun, kidnapped her and sexually assaulted her on Sunday, police detectives said.

Investigators have filed multiple charges against the 34-year-old man, whose name the Times-News has chosen not to release in order to protect the victim’s identity.

The suspect faces one count each of first-degree kidnapping, second-degree sexual offense, possession of a firearm by a felon, domestic assault on a female, interfering with emergency communication, assault by pointing a gun and communicating threats, according to a Lincolnton Police Department press release.

The suspect and victim had been involved in a dating relationship, but due to the nature of the case, Det. Sgt. Jason Munday said police will not be releasing additional details in the incident.

The man does has a “violent criminal” past, Munday said. The suspect was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the county in 1999, according to the North Carolina Department of Correction website. The Clerk of Court’s Office did not have additional details on the more than decade-old incident, but police said it was an accidental shooting for which the suspect spent time in prison. The man also has a level-one DWI on his record, the site showed.

During a first appearance, a judge set the suspect’s bond at $160,000, and he is set to appear in court again later this month, the Clerk’s Office said.

Lincoln County Sheriff’s deputies assisted police with the weekend arrest.

 

You must be logged in to post a comment Login