Home » Local News » Top Stories » Family of 5 loses home to fire

Family of 5 loses home to fire


Jenna-Ley Harrison / Lincoln Times-News
The burned shell of a mobile home sits in northeastern Lincoln County after a blazed that started in a back bedroom destroyed the structure.




Staff Writer


A hollowed-out window, a charred children’s bike and torn-off siding were just some of the obvious evidence of a blaze that forced a family of five from their northeastern Lincoln County home Wednesday afternoon after sparks ignited in a bedroom, fire officials said.

The incident occurred just before 4 p.m. at 4026 Benny Shrum Lane near the Lincoln / Catawba County line.

A firefighter with North 321 Volunteer Fire Department who lived down the street from the burning home witnessed flames shooting out of one of the windows and responded to the scene just four minutes after residents called 911, Lincoln County Fire Marshal Mike Futrell said.

Additional crew with the local fire agency along with mutual aid from Pumpkin Center Volunteer Fire Department also responded to the alarm call.

While fire officials remain puzzled as to how the fire started, Futrell said flames commenced in the home’s back bedroom.

Two of the residents had been cleaning an area in the front part of the mobile home when they smelled smoke and discovered the bedroom’s orange glow, fire officials said.

The residence has been deemed a total loss, but no one was injured in the incident.

The fire is under further investigation.

Image courtesy of KaAnSuli | Lincoln Times-News

You must be logged in to post a comment Login