As the state gets ready to see temperatures peaking into the triple digits this weekend, keep in mind exactly how hot 100-degree weather really is, especially inside an enclosed vehicle.
A 2-year-old in Burke County died earlier this month after overheating in an unattended vehicle, marking the first death from a temperature-related cause since 2009, the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) said in a press release this week.
“Parents and caregivers need to remember that as temperatures start to rise, it doesn’t take long for children’s bodies to overheat in a vehicle,” Fire Marshal Mike Futrell told the Times-News on Thursday. “We need to keep that in mind as we head into this very hot weekend and summer; this is expected to be a very warm year.”
Today and Saturday, Lincoln County is expected to see temperatures heading toward 105 degrees, followed by a 102-degree prediction for Sunday.
County health officials stress the importance of not leaving children or pets unattended in vehicles.
Witnesses to such incidents, immediately call 911, the DHHS urges.
For more tips on how to keep children safe this summer, visit www.ncsafekids.org.