A house fire displaced a family of five over the holiday weekend after a kitchen fire started at a residence where deputies were simultaneously responding to a disturbance call.
The incident occurred after 5 p.m. Sunday at a residence on the 2500 block of Woodland Hill Trail in Lincolnton, just west of Maiden Highway.
Lincoln County Sheriff’s deputies said they initially responded to the home in reference to a disturbance between a resident and neighbor who were “having difficulties.” A neighbor had called the resident to inform him that his mobile home was on fire, deputies said.
It wasn’t until deputies arrived on scene that they noticed the back door to the residence was open and flames were coming from the kitchen stove. The fire appeared to have originated from a pot of oil, the Sheriff’s Office said.
Law enforcement officials remain puzzled over the incident because residents told them that they hadn’t used the stove and had locked up the home before leaving. Neighbors confirmed with deputies that the family left the residence and that no one had been near the mobile home at the time of the incident, which remains under investigation.
The Fire Marshal’s Office ruled the home to be unsafe due to smoke damage and other “leftover residue,” Fire Marshal Mike Futrell said. Red Cross officials were also called in to assist with the family, providing rooms for them at Comfort Inn in Lincolnton.
Fire officials additionally pulled power to the residence due to electrical damage.
North 321 Fire Department also responded to the scene.