A Lincolnton woman was transported to a Winston-Salem hospital Monday night after a blaze started in her bedroom, burning her body, fire officials said.
Lincolnton Fire Chief Mike Lee said the 57-year-old woman was lying in bed inside her apartment at 119 Hillside Drive when her bed caught fire just after 10:30 p.m.
The woman was sitting in a chair outside the home when fire crews arrived on scene, Lee said. Fire officials said smoke filled the apartment, but the fire was contained to the one bedroom.
Emergency Medical Services first rushed her to Carolinas Medical Center-Lincoln before Med-Center Air transported her to Wake Baptist Hospitalâ€™s burn center for further treatment, authorities said.
Lee characterized the womanâ€™s condition as “serious.” Kim Green with Lincoln County EMS said at least 10 percent of the victimâ€™s body was burned with a majority of the burns being second and third degree. Green considered the womanâ€™s condition to be potentially life-threatening.
While Lee noted that medical oxygen might have contributed to the fire since it was in use in the bedroom at the time of the incident, he said fire officials are continuing to investigate the blaze.
In addition, he said the residence sustained more than $35,000 in damage.
South Fork Fire Department provided mutual aid Monday night.
There has been no update yet on the victimâ€™s condition and her name has not been released.