Home » Local News » Top Stories » Man fatally burned in yard fire

Man fatally burned in yard fire

 

 

JENNA-LEYHARRISON

Staff Writer

 

A Lincoln County man is dead following a fiery accident Monday afternoon in the backyard of his residence, located in the north-central part of the county.

Edward Rowe Sr., 75, of 2304 Maiden-Salem Rd. in Lincolnton, was burning grass when flames somehow jumped onto his clothing, authorities said.

Rowe’s wife called 911 and stayed on the phone with a dispatcher for nearly 10minutes, urging them to “please hurry” and send an ambulance and fire truck.

She noted that she had been inside the home while her husband burned something outside on the ground. Fire Chief Mike Futrell said the victim had specifically been burning brush around the fence line in his garden.

“His clothes are all burned up,” the woman told the dispatcher. She also noted that her husband had diabetes and heart problems.

Despite his severe burns, Rowe was conscious and talking immediately following the incident.

After the woman revealed that the ground outside was still burning and beginning to threaten the home, the Comm. Center dispatcher advised that she and her husband exit the home, according to the 911 call.

“Oh my gosh, the whole yard’s on fire, and it’s headed for the house,” she told the dispatcher.

Once crews arrived on scene, Emergency Medical Services flew Rowe to the burn center at Wake Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem where he later died, authorities said.

Firefighters from Union, North 321 and Lincolnton Fire Department responded to the scene.

 

Image courtesy of Ray Gora / Lincoln Times-News

You must be logged in to post a comment Login