Home » Local News » Top Stories » Break-ins off NC 150 still being investigated

Break-ins off NC 150 still being investigated

 

JENNA-LEY HARRISON

Staff Writer

 

The Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office said vehicular break-ins have slowed down in the last week after a string of incidents in neighborhoods around north N.C. 150 flooded the reports earlier this month.

According to Lt. Tim Johnson, head of criminal investigations, deputies have had little information to go on in the incidents, a majority of which occurred within a five-mile radius of Old Mill Road and Old Cilo Lane, east of Lincolnton.

“We had nothing to work with,” he said. “Almost all the cars were unlocked.”

In addition to an increase in vehicular break-ins, Johnson said deputies have witnessed an uptick in outbuilding break-ins. Again, most of the property had been unlocked at the time of the incidents and took place within communities surrounding N.C. 150.

More than a dozen reports poured into the Sheriff’s Office on Feb. 1, indicating most of the incidents took place the previous night, authorities said.

Johnson noted that money was the thieves’ prime target, other than electronics, which seemed to be the main items up for grabs in a string of similar incidents that occurred throughout the county last summer.

Authorities have sent multiple reminders to local residents to report unusual activity, lock up vehicles and homes and hide valuables and pill bottles in out-of-sight areas.

At this time, no suspects have been arrested in connection with the break-ins.

 

You must be logged in to post a comment Login