Home » Local News » Three Lincoln County churches receive Duke Endowment grants

Three Lincoln County churches receive Duke Endowment grants

 

LTN Staff Reports

 

One of the country’s largest private foundations recently awarded grants to four Methodist churches across Lincoln County in support of both their building projects and ministries.

According to a press release, the churches were among a number of organizations across North and South Carolina to receive part of The Duke Endowment’s more than $100 million in grants.

Projects funded by the Charlotte-based organization “make a difference in children’s services, health care, rural churches and higher education,” the release said.

Lincoln County churches that received money from the 2011 grant include the following:

Hills Chapel United Methodist Church: $15,000 to support leadership ministry Clergy School of the Spirit; $30,000 to support a food ministry program.

Tucker’s Grove United Methodist Church: $35,000 to support an after-school program.

Webb’s Chapel United Methodist Church: $150,000 to build a Family Life Center.

Ivey Memorial United Methodist Church: $150,000 to renovate the fellowship hall.

Among the additional organizations across the Carolinas who benefited from the 2011 Duke Endowment included Carolinas HealthCare Foundation, Davidson College, Duke University, Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, SAFEchild program for Wake County mothers exposed to domestic violence and Southmountain Children and Family Services in Burke County, a facility that provides behavioral therapy for victims of child abuse in western North Carolina.

For a comprehensive list of recipients, visit www.dukeendowment.org.

The Duke Endowment has awarded more than $2 billion in grants since its commencement in 1924 by industrialist and philanthropist James B. Duke.

 

You must be logged in to post a comment Login