Home » Local News » Top Stories » Embers blamed for fire in laundry room

Embers blamed for fire in laundry room

JENNA-LEY HARRISON
Staff Writer

Burning embers led to a laundry room fire Thursday at a residence in the northeastern part of the city.
County EMS Manager Bill Summers said the fire appeared to be accidental in nature and was the second occurrence that day at the home, located at 713 Hares Way in Lincolnton.
A fire initially started around 2 p.m. in a trash bag in the home’s laundry room. Fire officials assumed that either a cigarette butt or fireplace ashes produced the flames.
Authorities said residents didn’t call fire crews at first but attempted to extinguish the fire by kicking the bag out the door and hosing it down with water.
“In that process … some embers were left in that room,” Summers said.
As a result, embers landed on a stack of firewood located just inside the laundry room’s back door, causing a larger second fire, officials noted.
“It was too big to do anything with,” Summers said.
The fire was contained to the laundry room due to a door that separated it from the rest of the home, officials noted.
“It was a tremendous help in keeping it (fire) back in that part of the house,” Summers said.
The fire was quickly extinguished, and no one was injured in the incident. Authorities estimated that the residence sustained around $30,000 in damage.
Sheriff’s deputies also responded to the home along with fire crews from both Lincolnton and Boger City Fire Departments.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login