Scores of teachers and students were evacuated from all three campuses of Lincoln Charter School on Wednesday morning, after school officials received an email regarding a bomb threat.
Sheriff David Carpenter confirmed with the Times-News Wednesday morning that school officials at the two Denver campuses and Lincolnton campus were made aware of the threat by 8 a.m.
At time of publication, Carpenter had yet to read the email and was unsure about the specifics of the threat. He did note that the email stated that a threat would be imminent through the end of the week.
As of 9 a.m., no bombs had been located at any of the campuses, authorities said. While Carpenter said they are treating the incident as a â€œcredible threatâ€ and will be combing all three facilities before allowing anyone back inside the schools, he does not think the incident is any more significant than past threats.
â€œThereâ€™s just certain procedures that we have to follow,â€ he said.
Dave Machado, chief administrator of Lincoln Charter schools, agreed.
He also stated that itâ€™s normal procedure to evacuate the students by normal bus routes and have parents pick up their children at a â€œpre-identified location.â€
Machado added that he and other school officials were the ones who received the email this morning, which threatened the charter schools but didnâ€™t specify which exact campus was the prime target.
The evacuation was concluded after school officials consulted with the Lincoln County Sheriffâ€™s Office, he said.
Students at the Lincoln Charter Lincolnton campus were bused across the street to St. Dorothyâ€™s Catholic Church on N.C. 27 West.
Students at the two Denver campuses were taken to Lake Norman Lutheran Church, school officials said.
Carpenter pointed out that itâ€™s now considered a felony offense to threaten an educational facility.
According to Dr. Matt Stover, Lincoln County Schoolsâ€™ associate superintendent of human resources, no other schools in the county received a bomb threat Wednesday morning.