Home » Local News » Discarded ashes cause Denver mobile home fire

Discarded ashes cause Denver mobile home fire

The Denver Volunteer Fire Department responded to a grass fire Feb. 8 off Campground Road and found a little more than they bargained for.
According to the Web site www.denvervfd.com, the call of a mobile home fire on Bellwood Lane off Campground Road came in around 10:47 a.m.
When the first two firefighters arrived on the scene, they discovered a grass fire that appeared to have started from discarded ashes of a neighboring house.
The fire had spread to an adjacent abandoned mobile home.
Firefighters report the home was approximately 50 percent engulfed with heavy fire along the entire length of the underside of the mobile home. Heavy smoke was also reported.
Pumpkin Center Fire Department provided mutual aid to the Denver Fire Department and the Lincoln County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the cause of the blaze.
According to the Web site, “Denver Fire Department would like to remind all citizens that if you have ashes that you have discarded from your fireplace, please place them in a metal bucket.”
The Web site added that ashes should be set outside for several days before discarding into any trash.
“Ashes from fireplaces can remain hot for days and often carelessly discarded ashes cause unintentional fires with sometimes significant devastation.”
To further prevent fires like this one, residents are encouraged to add water to the ashes and stir it well, to disperse the water prior to throwing the ashes out.
by Jon Mayhew

You must be logged in to post a comment Login