Home » Local News » Fire leaves four homeless

Fire leaves four homeless

A family of four is homeless today after a fire destroyed their rental house at 1213 E. Pine St. on Tuesday morning.
Nearly 20 firefighters from Lincolnton and Boger City responded to the blaze, which was reported at 10:51 a.m., Lincolnton Fire Capt. Jack Jones said.
Lincolnton crews were on the scene within two minutes and found the small, single story house on fire.
“When we arrived on the scene there was heavy smoke and fire showing through the bedroom window,” Jones said.
It took about 20 minutes for firefighters to put out the flames. They remained on the scene until about 12:30 putting out hot spots.
Officials are calling the house a total loss.
While the value was only about $28,000, everything was damaged by either smoke or heat, Jones said.
“The fire spread rapidly,” Jones said. “It had already extended through into the attic (by the time crews arrived).”
The cause of the fire appears to have been electrical, Jones said. Officials think a space heater with a bad cord is to blame for the blaze.
Jones said the resident of the home, Jina Johnson, lived there with her three children. No one was at home when the fire started.
The Red Cross is assisting the family.
by Alice Smith

You must be logged in to post a comment Login