Home » Sports » Popular Mooresville restaurant burns

Popular Mooresville restaurant burns

MOORESVILLE — A popular Mooresville Restaurant went up in flames Thursday evening due to electrical wiring problems.
The 104 year-old structure of Kudzu Restaurant on South Broad Street was a total loss. Officials placed the value at $185,000.
No injuries were reported but occupants and two customers were in the restaurant when the fire started. At the time, workers were preparing to close the restaurant for the night.
“An employee discovered the fire when they walked outside,” said Fire Marshall, Bobby Compton with the Mooresville Fire Department. “They went out the back door and smelled something, so they ran back in and told everyone to call 911.”
Compton said the fire started because of an improper staple on some wiring in the can wash room.
“If you put up a wire and don’t use the proper staple or if it too loose or tight it can be a problem,” Compton said. “It was probably installed incorrectly.”
The call came in at 9:24 p.m. and the fire department was on the scene by 9:29 p.m., Compton said.
Approximately 40 personnel from four different departments came to assist including the Mooresville Fire Department, the Mt. Mourne Volunteer Fire Department, the Shepherd’s Volunteer Fire Department and the Mooresville Rescue Squad.
Personnel did not clear the scene until 2:58 a.m.
Management was in town when the fire started but the owners were out of town.
Compton said the restaurant was very popular for local residents.
They offered everything from sandwiches to steaks and seafood.
“It was a very classy and upscale restaurant for the Mooresville area,” he said. “Somewhere where you would take a date or go for an anniversary.” by Amy Wadsworth

You must be logged in to post a comment Login